A Dallas Morning News blog article says cops are running ticket mills in White Rock Lake park. The crime? Bicyclists running stop signs.
Even though I am frustrated by White Rock Lake bicyclists, I believe this enforcement is just revenge. Let me explain.
I think motorists are justifiably upset at arrogant bicyclists. Commenters on the DMN blog and my experience confirm many who:
- Decline to yield when entering a roadway.
- Decline to use a special bridge intended for them. Instead, they choose to endanger themselves and motorists by cycling amidst traffic running three times as fast. (I’ll give them medals for bravery! They don’t even have the visibility and protection of vehicles!)
- Do things just to provoke motorists.
- Have holier-than-thou attitudes againt cars.
- Ride 3-4 abreast, making it difficult to safely pass them.
- Decline to watch out for pedestrians.
What’s the stop sign’s point? Mitigate right of way issues. That’s it.
Compared to cars, cyclists travel slowly. They have plenty long to review intersections and make right of way judgments. They rarely need a full stop. Why force them?
Full and complete stops don’t address any of the above problems. That’s why I believe this is simply revenge.
Add the simpleton logic of “it’s the law so it should be enforced,” and it becomes sweet revenge.
I don’t subscribe to simpleton logic, so I don’t approve victimizing bicyclists with this revenge, profit-fueled ticket mill.