Circle 10 Council, the Boy Scout council for the Dallas, TX area, is realigning its districts. The council thinks it hasn’t been done for at least 30 years. It’s time!
As a former District Commissioner for the White Rock District, I think this makes a ton of sense. The districts are too different in resources, members, and geography, and they sometimes pointlessly separate common communities. The proposal helps a lot.
So far Circle 10 has not released maps. I needed to figure out some mapmaking tools for my doctoral work anyway, so I thought I would make the maps myself. So I present to you Circle 10 Council’s new districts!
IMPORTANT: I am doing this on my own. This was not requested by the council. Also, the guidance I found wasn’t always fully precise, so I had to interpret in some areas.
Click on each image for a larger version.
- White Rock and White Buffalo districts merged. (See detail below.)
- North Trail divided into 3 parts:
- Fair Park area (formerly part of Comanche), downtown, and West View District are combined with the Park Cities part of North Trail. (See detail below.)
- Richardson ISD portion.
- Dallas ISD north of Northwest Highway, including Dallas ISD portions that were part of North District.
- North becomes only Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD.
- Gray Owl gets split up. (See detail below.)
- Wisdom Trail
- Mountain Lake
- Western Star
Here’s the merged White Rock/White Buffalo districts:
I always thought White Buffalo and White Rock should be combined. Both districts have more in common than other adjacent areas. Also, White Buffalo’s few traditional units didn’t make sense in a sea of program units.
- Garland ISD
- Rockwall County and Wylie and Communities ISDs. I think it also includes Royse City ISD, but Circle 10’s guidance wasn’t clear.
- Great Plains (Plano ISD) divided into 2 districts along Parker Road.
- Southern Sky gets split. Southern Sky 1 is Allen ISD and Lovejoy ISD. Southern Sky 2 is Frisco, Celina, and Prosper ISDs.
- That’s Gray Owl 2 on the bottom right.
- I think Lone Star is the remainder of Collin County?
Here’s the old Texoma Valley Council, still its own district:
It includes Grayson County, TX and Bryan County, OK. I recently saw a Circle 10 billboard on southbound US 75 just north of the Red River.
Let’s go back into Dallas and take a closer look at the southern part of North Trail:
Park Cities area, West View District, and Fair Park area are combined. I like that Scouts from the poorest parts of town will be able to share resources with the wealthiest part of the council.
I am glad Circle 10 is doing this. I hope everything goes smoothly and that each district’s volunteer leaders take this with a positive attitude. It’s for the better of Scouting in the east half of DFW.