The United Kingdom is the poster child of an abusive police state. Thanks to its 6,000 automated speed cameras:
- 4,500,000 drivers, 28% of all UK licensed drivers, have speeding convictions.
- 900,000 drivers, 7% of all UK licensed drivers, are one conviction away from a driving ban.
- 92% of moving violations are speeding tickets.
- Almost $200,000,000 of revenue is raised annually with traffic fines.
- Half of speeding violations are for less than 10 mph over the limit.
This is the sorry state where automated enforcement will bring us.
If you aren’t outraged, you haven’t been paying attention.
Sources: http://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/2007/march/30/12839.asp (most) and http://www.cfit.gov.uk/mf/reports/ar2004/index.htm (licensed driver count)